Three Ohio breweries recently brought home a combined five medals from the San Diego International Beer Competition last week. There were 1,347 entries this year, about 400 more than last year’s competition. The three Ohio breweries and winning entries were:
- Black Cloister Brewing Co. – Toledo, OH – European Lager, Helles Angel – Bronze
- Seventh Son Brewing Co. – Columbus, OH Barley Wine, The Wild Hunt – Silver
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing – Columbus, OH – Smoked Beer, Buchenrauch – Gold
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing – Columbus, OH – German -Style Bock, Sustinator – Silver
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing – Columbus, OH – Cream Ale, Clear Sky – Silver
This makes eight medals total for Wolf’s Ridge in one year, including bronze at last year’s San Diego Competition for the Buchenrauch. Wolf’s Ridge Head Brewer Chris Davison has been working on the recipe with each new batch, getting it truer to style and more classically brewed with each variation – shown by the beer jumping up to gold this year.