The MadCap Taproom is finally open starting this Friday (October 7) at 4 p.m! There will be seven MadCap beers on tap to choose from, as well as a refreshing Bent Tree cold brew coffee, and some delicious Taco Tontos Mexican cuisine. You can also enjoy playing cornhole and other games next to a view of the brewery! Located at 1422 Mogadore Rd. Kent, Ohio 44240.
New Belgium is celebrating their 25th Birthday at Platform Brewing in Cleveland on Saturday August 27th from 3-7 pm. Ticket price is $25 and includes entry, specialty beer tasting, light eats, live music, and a good time! They are also celebrating the opening of their new brewery in Ashville, NC. Come and help them celebrate. Try this link for tickets.
The inaugural Cleveland Beerfest is almost here. Tomorrow (8/19) and Saturday (8/20) from 7:30 to 11 pm, 6:30 for early admission tickets. It’s a first for Cleveland in that it will be held outdoors downtown on Mall B on St. Clair Avenue. Advance tickets can still be bought if you hurry. Otherwise they are $40 or $50 at the gate. Your ticket gets you 25 sample tickets and a souvenir beer mug.
They promise over 300 beers and over 100 breweries represented, so get your tickets now at www.clevelandbeerfest.com
Don’t let the summer slip by without attending a few beerfests; especially the local one that focus on Ohio beers. Did you check out my new map that has over 160 breweries in Ohio now? Here’s hoping to try some new brews from some new breweries along with our favorites from the long established brewers at:
August 6 – Blues and Brews at Lock 3 in Akron. Oh (12-5 pm)… and also on August 5.. Friday night (7-930 pm) they are having Barrel Night! Click the link for advance ticket sales.
August 5-6 – Volksfest at Listermann Brewing Co. in Cincinnati.
August 5-6 – The seventh annual Columbus Summer Beerfest at the LC Pavilion in Columbus.
August 6 – The eighth annual Great American Beer Tasting at Fifth Third Field in Dayton.
August 13 – Chardon Brew Fest – on Chardon Square, noon to 5 pm. Features 30 or so Ohio breweries.
August 13 – Third annual Brewfest Waterfront District in Lorain
And that’s just the next two weeks. Check out calendar of events for more.
Ohio Craft Brewery winners at World Beer Cup 2016
- Fat Head’s Brewery – GOLD – Hop JuJu – Imperial Pale Ale
- Fat Head’s Brewery – BRONZE- Midnight Moonlight – American-Style Black Ale
- Little Fish Brewing – GOLD – Barrel Aged Woodthrush – Belgian and French Style Ale
- Willoughby Brewing Company – BRONZE – Nut Smasher – Specialty Beer
- Fifty West Brewing Company – GOLD – 2013 10&2 Barleywine – Barley Wine Style Ale
- North High Brewing Company – SILVER – Pale Ale – American Style Pale Ale
Click here for more details
Three Ohio breweries recently brought home a combined five medals from the San Diego International Beer Competition last week. There were 1,347 entries this year, about 400 more than last year’s competition. The three Ohio breweries and winning entries were:
- Black Cloister Brewing Co. – Toledo, OH – European Lager, Helles Angel – Bronze
- Seventh Son Brewing Co. – Columbus, OH Barley Wine, The Wild Hunt – Silver
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing – Columbus, OH – Smoked Beer, Buchenrauch – Gold
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing – Columbus, OH – German -Style Bock, Sustinator – Silver
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing – Columbus, OH – Cream Ale, Clear Sky – Silver
This makes eight medals total for Wolf’s Ridge in one year, including bronze at last year’s San Diego Competition for the Buchenrauch. Wolf’s Ridge Head Brewer Chris Davison has been working on the recipe with each new batch, getting it truer to style and more classically brewed with each variation – shown by the beer jumping up to gold this year.
Scheduled for May 27 through June 12. New Coaster, craft beer and BBQ. What else do you need? Click here for details.
Akron Blues and Brew Festival at Lock 3 in Akron has announced the date for their 12th annual festival to be August 6. Just a reminder now to save the date. Details as they become available.